Total Pageviews

Thursday 7 February 2013

Letter Dated 10th February 1927, Cairo

Dear Mama,

I have finally arrived. The journey was relatively uneventful by air and sea. Only when it came to land did problems arise. Even your patented peppermint and lemon scented oil could not blot out the all pervading, full nasal assault that is camel aroma. It is difficult to put into words the full extent of the fetid pungency which hit me like a wall when we reached our transport to the city. Harder still was to ascertain which part of the animal, the smell was emanating from. What I had first taken to be hideous halitosis that could have been used as a substitute for chloroform, was in fact a general aura that seeped through every crack, crevice and pore. To add to the experience, was a temperament that was even riper than the creatures' smell. They spat, sneezed and bit their way through the journey but I suppose this was small wonder as I would hate to consider what ill feelings I would harbour if I discovered from birth that I smelt like a cross between a freshly laid cow pat and the sweaty matted armpits of a Yak. I have and do continue to ask myself why if they look and smell so bad, they are the animal of choice in these parts. Certainly they are hardy beasts against the scorching heat of the day and the sand but horses do manage to also survive here so I can only assume that a camel steak tastes sublime, though I severely doubt it. Nothing that bad can taste that good.

Lodgings are a little basic but will suffice until I can find a permanent base from which to plan my field trips with an en suite bed and door. A local shopkeeper claims to be a landlord of some properties nearby so I will ask if I can see them tomorrow.

Please thank Auntie for her letter. I look forward to receiving the hamper soon, even though it is uncharacteristically generous of her. I've no doubt that there is an ulterior motive for this and that I will pay for it later but nevertheless, I shall enjoy the scotch and tinned ham whilst I wait.

I hope the old man is well.

All my love.

Jack.

P.S - Two hampers are better than one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.