Total Pageviews

Friday 10 May 2013

Letter from Cairo dated 6th May 1927 addressed to Mr Andrew Langton


Dear Langers,

How are the wedding preparations going? We are very much looking forward to the auspicious occasion. Mother has bought yet another new hat even though she's not on the invite list (she needs very little excuse), Wedgy plans to roll up in his new Rolls and Seethrough Charlie has gone for a  fitted white suit. I fear however that with his gaunt, thin frame, he risks looking somewhat less than dashing and more like a desiccated corpse wrapped in a funerary shroud. Cousin Lottie on the other hand has taken the news very badly. Auntie says she hasn't been out of her room for days and puts it down to the old girl feeling that she's been left on the shelf . I on the other hand have a different theory. I have long suspected and shared with you the possibility she has always carried a torch for you. Between you and me and Kitty if she's reading this, I think you picked the right girl. One would have to be constantly fitted with earplugs and a possess a constitution of iron to endure Lottie's laugh which alternates between, snorting, braying and bleating. An hour in my cousin's company is like a day on the farm.

Anyway, I am just making final preparations to return to old Blighty. My tutor Dr Blomqvist is less than happy as we have just discovered a new site down in the banks of the Nile. As some small compensation, I have promised to do some research on Friezes and Cornices at the British library and to bring him back some books that he needs. I have also promised to bring back some decent whisky for an old retired RAF officer that I met at a bar. Pleasant enough old chap; well fed, ruddy faced with a huge white moustache. Apparently he was a flying ace in the Great War. You may have heard of him; Wing Commander Reginald T. Flatterblatter. I said to him, "With any luck in a few years they might allow you to command the whole plane." He was less than amused until I thrust a large scotch in front of him and then suddenly he perked up. Now we regularly meet up and discuss the good old days (his, not mine). After a tiring day digging through the dust and dirt, it is quite relaxing listening to someone prattle on and not have to join in. Rather like listening to the wireless.

Anyway all the best to you both. See you in a couple of weeks.

Best regards.

Jack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.